Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

When I arrived in Italy, my life became technicolour. And now, I never want to leave. I was talking to my friend Taylor about this, who's living on the border of France and Switzerland. I'm really proud of her, too, because she was supposed to go to the University of Toronto for law, and now she's learning French and having the time of her life. She says, "The only problem with coming over here is that I never want to leave." I couldn't possibly agree with her more.
Ever since I moved into my new house, I haven't had much time to update my blog because I'm literally in the heart of Rome. I no longer have to wait for anything or anyone - I can go wherever, whenever. And every single day, I'm out and about. I also have loads of free time, so I've been spending most of it out with friends, window shopping, touring around, eating more food... It is pure heaven over here.
One of my favourite people here is my good friend Kelsey, who I spent Sunday evening with. We met up at the monument in the centre of Campo dei Fiori and split a bottle of wine. I keep a wine opener in my purse at all times. We talked about her busy weekend, and my new house and I gave her the details of my new beau. We'll call him Nathan. 
Nathan is 20 years old and is studying here with my other American friends like Connor. I met him a few weeks ago at Scholar's but nothing really happened between us until last week. I went out with my au pair friends and the Americans on Friday, and Nathan was there. I've never been this attracted to a guy before. He's from Boston and has tanned skin, dark brown eyes, and a perfect smile. On top of his charming looks he's an actual gentlemen, and asked about how I grew up, what my family's like, and all that important stuff that's sometimes awkward but really wasn't at all. He's really easy to talk to, but its bittersweet because he's going home to the U.S in three weeks. I was talking to a friend about him and said how terrible it is that I just met him now, and that I wish we had met sooner. She reminded me that it could be worse, and that I could've met him three days before he left, or maybe not at all. This is true.
So, after Kelsey and I had some wine, she walked me to Scholar's where I went to meet with Nathan. His favourite football team, the New England Patriots were playing, and they won, so he was pretty happy about that. We hungout there for a bit and then decided to walk around the city. Rome at night is beyond any kind of beauty you can ever imagine, especially the Trevi Fountain, with its electric blue water and gold lights.
It still has tourists and romantic couples lounging about even at 1 am. We walked everywhere, and eventually ended up at Villa Borghese. We just hungout there and had a view of the whole city. The best part was St. Peter's Basilica, which was decorated with gold lights. It was definitely one of my favourite nights in Italy so far. I don't know how much I want to, or should reveal about my current romance going on here. I actually get the butterfly feeling with this guy, and so I want to respect his privacy as formally as I can. When he was walking me home, I saw my Swedish friend Ronja, who I've been running into spontaneously lately. She thought that maybe he was Italian or Greek or something, and said, "Who's the hottie? What country is he from?" He replied, in perfect English (and that irresistible Boston accent), "I'm from the U.S." She was really taken aback, but then laughed and said, "That's too bad, I was hoping we could talk bullshit about you behind your back right now." Oh, Ronja... 

No comments:

Post a Comment