Monday, May 21, 2012

The 5 Friends Every Woman Should Have

I consider myself to be a fairly lucky person, because I have a wide circle of friends whom I adore more than anything in the world. I don't know what I would do or who I would be without them.
All friendships have their ups and downs. Some friendships last for a couple seasons, some last for a few years, and some last a lifetime. Some still love you even after you accidentally break their mom's favourite lamp, while other's flee when times get tough. I think its only natural for people to have friends in their life come and go, but it always stings when a friendship is over. Most of the time, it happens over the course of a person's life, rather than an argument. But when a friendship does end over something serious, it can be really difficult to get over. Bob Marley once said, "Truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for."
It sounds simple, but tell your friends you love them. When you do something wrong that hurts their feelings or insults their character, apologize. It can be hard, but anyone reading my blog is old enough to know that the things that matter in life are usually never easy.
In high school, I couldn't see past the next semester. I was too young to think seriously about my future, and I was oblivious enough to think that the people I ate lunch with at the cafeteria every day would be the same people I'd be inviting to my wedding. I have a close handful of people who I have and will be friends with until the day I die, but there's a lot of people I was friends with in high school who I never in a million years would've thought that I wouldn't talk to after graduating. But, of course, it happened. And the funny thing is that I can't even tell you why.
I know that deep down I'm a loyal, honest, and truth worthy friend. Have I always been? No. Will I always be in the future? All I can say is that I will sincerely try my best. But if you happen to be the one who needs to apologize in order to begin rebuilding the bridge, then do it. It's never too late to come out and say "I'm sorry." If you miss someone you used to be close with, pick up the phone and call them. It's never too late.
Thinking about how fortunate I am to have the friends I have in my life encouraged me to write this post and list the five types of people that I believe every woman needs to have in her life. 
The Party Girl:
Every woman needs a friend like this in their life. She's the one who, even at your craziest, makes you look sane compared to herself. She's fun will motivate you to get out of your sweats and off the couch after calling you to invite you out to the bar this weekend. When you get dumped, she's the one who will refuse to let you wallow in a carton of mint chocolate chip ice cream with a side of sadness by going shopping with you for a hot new dress and take you out and volunteer you to do body shots at the bar (cough cough... Emily Kalynuik). It's important to have a friend like this in your life who you can totally let loose with and not worry about anything but having a good time. Cheers to her!
The Cheerleader:
When I say cheerleader, I don't actually mean that this kind of friend needs to know how to do the splits or have an excessive amount of school spirit. This friend can also be known as The Motivator, or basically, the one who always wants you to succeed. I know what you're thinking - shouldn't every friend I have want me to succeed? Of course, but The Cheerleader is different. This isn't the friend who simply texts you good luck before a basketball game, but the one who will actually be there to watch you while wearing your team colours or an extra jersey. Upon hearing that you want to get in shape by taking a zumba class she doesn't just say, "Good for you," but she will actually volunteer to join you and make it a ritual to go for a morning jog together every Sunday. And when you have a major test coming up, she's the friend who will help you study in your dorm room with colour coded flash cards. She's the one who sees you at your best and at your worst, and stays by your side no matter what kind of day you're having. She's awesome.
The Honest One:
Ahh, the honest one... This friend is the one who is always honest with you, even if it hurts your feelings. This friend will tell you the truth to the worst questions that brew in the back of your mind. She's logical, and you can tell her anything, because you know that she's going to serve up a hot dish of honesty and fill your plate with it. Sorry. That was a weird thing to say, even for me.
The One You've Known Forever:
This is the kind of friend who you'll never be able to get rid of, even if you wanted to. She might be your sister, or maybe you met in kindergarten. Whatever the relation, you've known her since you had braces, and she isn't going anywhere. The nice thing about this friend is that one minute you could be engaged in a heated argument, and the next, you're going to the movies together. Even if you get into a fight that lasts longer than a week, when something goes wrong, you know that you can call her anyway, and she'll talk to you as though the fight never happened. She's always there for you no matter what, because there's no point in trying to break away from this friendship - there's too many embarrassing pictures of you together in your diapers to throw all your memories away.
The Boy:
This kind of friend is unlike any other. When you want to hangout and do nothing, he's all for it. 
All of these friends, despite their most notable titles, should have all of these other qualities as well. It's important to be well rounded and be able to be there for your friend in their time of sadness even if all you want to do is channel your inner Ke$ha. Every friend should be fun, cheer you on when you want to do something important, let you cry on their shoulder, and make you laugh when you need it the most. This post is for all of the friends who are in my life today (you know who you are!), and a tribute to the ones I have yet to meet.

3 comments:

  1. This post, among others, makes me feel like you would be the perfect contributor to a magazine. This post seems like the kind of article you could find in Cosmo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Katie! Hopefully one day I can work for them and submit pieces like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life was falling apart, I was being cheated and abused, I had to know the truth and needed proof. i saw a recommendation about a private investigator worldcyberhackers@gmail.com by a friend. i contacted them and they took care of my needs. they hacked his iphone and gave me all information in his facebook,instagram, Whatsapp, twitter and email account. I got all I wanted as proof . I am glad i had a proven truth he was cheating . Contact them if you need help


    ReplyDelete