Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Things I Learned In Italy

One thing I really noticed while reflecting on my last few days here is that I truly got accustomed to city life. I know how to dodge pedestrians and have gotten used to waiting forever in traffic due to the millions of cars littering the streets of Rome. I got used to falling asleep to my Sicilian neighbors talking loudly, people laughing and cheering from the nearby bars, and the occasional roar of a police car. These sounds became my lullaby. 
The other day someone asked me where I prefer living - Italy or Canada. There's pros and cons to both countries, and every time I want to say one, the other immediately throws itself into my memory and causes me to reminisce on how much I love them, too. It's hard to say because they're both so different. The history and art attracts me to Italy, and I love that houses were built in a time where having character mattered. I almost like the weather better too, because I love the heat, but my favourite season is fall, which Rome really
misses out on. The lifestyles are polar opposites, though. I like that Italians
are more laid back to the point where they take midday naps, have a three hour lunch break with a glass of wine, and so forth. 
All in all, I love both countries. But Canada is my home. It's safe, affordable (minus tuition), offers a good education, health care, has a respectable reputation worldwide, has beautiful scenery, is perfect for nature lovers, and just so happens to be where I grew up. We also have an endless supply of maple syrup. I love Canada. I don't think that I ever see myself 
settling down in Italy forever, but it would be nice to go back for another extended period of time. I think it would be great when I'm older to rent a country home in Tuscany for a year or so to focus on writing and spend my days practicing Italian, learning how to be a better cook, riding my bike through the vineyards, and reading every book a person would ever want to read in their lifetime.
In honour of my last week here in Italy, I decided to compile a list of just 50 things I learned while here that are too good to keep to myself. I learned a lot from my time here and will continue to continue learning during the next seven days and beyond, but I thought it would be something for you all to think about. I hope you laugh, agree, and take something from this list. Enjoy!

  • When an Italian grandmother (nonna) asks you if you want more food, the answer is never "no," even if you feel like your stomach is about to burst open. You will a) completely offend the woman and b) she will just put more food on your plate anyway.
  • The most important Italian saying is "mange bene," which literally translates to "eat good." This is said when reminding one to have good table manners, but also to finish everything laid out in front of you.
  • 15 degree temperature is still considered fur coat weather in Italy.
  • Time really does fly when you're having fun.
  • If you want something done, you have to do it yourself.
  • When one door closes, another door opens.
  • Your eyes are bigger than your stomach.
  • Spritz is the best summer drink (with aperol - not Campari!)
  • Canadians don't ride their bikes nearly as much as we should.
  • Don't judge anyone based on what they were like in high school. Chances are, they've changed drastically since then. Haven't you?
  • The best roads to take are the ones untraveled.
  • Walking on the sidewalk does not necessarily mean that you won't be hit by a car.
  • The best pubs in the world are the ones with an Irish flag waving outside.
  • Do what makes you happy.
  • If someone is rude to you, don't strike back. It's not worth your time or energy.
  • You see one's true colours upon dealing with a rainy day, tangled Christmas tree lights, and lost luggage.
  • Enjoying fresh figs and lemons from gardens in Tuscany at midnight makes for great memories in the morning.
  • Pick your battles 
  • Overuse "I love you." You never know when it'll be the last time you say it to someone.
  • There is nothing wrong with spending a day in a patch of sunlight reading your favourite book by your favourite fountain in your favourite garden.
  • Don't let fear get in the way of a life experience.
  • Danish people have the biggest hearts in the world.
  • Always trust your intuition. It could save your life.
  • Don't worry about pleasing everyone. When you want to say "no" instead of "yes", do it.
  • Always set the bar higher than you thought you could jump.
  • 99% of people need to use olive oil more regularly.
  • Nutella is what heaven tastes like.
  • There is no turmoil that can't be lightened when eating pizza margarita.
  • Getting mail (you know - in the mailbox) is much better than getting an e-mail.
  • You cannot cross the same river twice.
  • Saying, "It's my birthday!" to bartenders and waiters pays off. It's just a white lie - eventually it will be my birthday.
  • Canada really needs a cheap airline like Ryanair or EasyJet. Entrepreneurs? Anyone? Eh?
  • Amsterdam is the coolest city on the face of the earth.
  • No matter what kind of relationship you have with your parents, you'll miss them when you move out.
  • Rooftops are a perfectly comfortable place to sleep.
  • Never underestimate the level of coolness in an Irish priest.
  • Always, always, always be yourself. You can't please everyone, so you might as well just do what you want in life.
  • In Rome, do as the Romans do.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love lists, no matter what the subject, and you tend to write a lot of them. I am very tempted to go through your blog and print them all out.
    They make me laugh, they make me tear up. They are very insightful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God, that is such a nice compliment! Thanks Katie! I'll keep that in mind for future reference :)

      Delete
  2. My life was falling apart, I was being cheated and abused, I had to know the truth and needed proof. i saw a recommendation about a private investigator worldcyberhackers@gmail.com by a friend. i contacted them and they took care of my needs. they hacked his iphone and gave me all information in his facebook,instagram, Whatsapp, twitter and email account. I got all I wanted as proof . I am glad i had a proven truth he was cheating . Contact them if you need help


    ReplyDelete